CanSkate even better!
Slate Canada developed a new CanSkate program based on Sport Canada’s long term athlete development (LTAD) principles. Exciting new features include a fresh new look, new awards, great tools for coaches and most importantly a tested and proven new curriculum and delivery methods that guarantee skater success in developing stronger basic skills and developing them faster. But there’s more! The new program also includes specific skills that pertain to hockey, ringette, speed skating and figure skating. The result is a dynamic new program that prepares all skaters for virtually every ice sport.
Skate Canada is also proud to have all its programs taught by professional coaches who are specially trained and certified through the National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP).
Our clubs from across Canada are excited as they prepare to welcome and serve learn-to-skate clientele from every walk of life, age and every interest level.
WHY SIGN UP FOR CANSKATE?
What is CanSkate?
CanSkate is a dynamic learn-to-skate program that focuses on fun, participation and basic skill development. Based on Sport Canada’s long term athlete development (LTAD) principles, CanSkate centers on physical literacy and the fundamental skills needed to take part in any ice sport or to skate as a recreational activity.
Who’s it for?
For beginners of all ages, children or adults, as well as for those wishing to improve their basic skills whether their focus be for figure skating, hockey, speed skating or just skating for fun.
Who teaches it?
NCCP-trained professional coaches, assisted by trained program assistants.
What will you learn?
A complete series of balance, control and agility skills taught in six stages of learning that pertain to hockey, ringette, speed skating and figure skating as well as general recreational skating. CanSkate uses nationally-tested and proven curriculum and delivery methods that guarantee skater success in developing stronger basic skills and developing them faster.
What can you expect?
Action, movement and fun! Lessons are given in a group format with a coach-to-student ratio of a maximum 1:10. Skaters progress at their own rate and coaches make sessions active using teaching aids, upbeat music and a wide variety of activities that create a motivational environment and promote learning. Badges, ribbons and other incentives are used to benchmark skaters’ progress and reward effort and participation.
What do you need to participate?
All you need are skates (sharpened), a CSA-approved hockey helmet, gloves and club uniform (long pants, skirt, tight, sweater)
Important: Plastic skates not accepted, skates without laces (clips or velcro ) will not be authorized on the ice.
Choosing good skates is important to ensure your child is learning the proper skating skills. We invite you to consult one of our coaches or club representatives for appropriate choices in equipment. Please note that new skates are not sharpened, you will therefore need to get them sharpened before your child gets on the ice the first time. The skates will need to be sharpened on a regular basis during the season. Our coaches and club representatives will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have on this subject.
Not accepted (plastic, adjustable without lace)
Accepted (laced and sharpened)
- Season start-end dates will be confirmed as soon as possible at the beginning of each season
- Winter session (group): September to March , Spring session (group) Apriil-June,
- Summer session (private lessons STAR program) July-August - Check wih your club for details.
- Group classes offered once a week (additional session available upon request)
- Registration fees approximately $250 for winter season, (includes Skate Canada membership and Insurance fees)
- Club Uniform available at the club , approximately $50 (depending on items selected) - Mandatory (except for min-glace)
How do you sign up?
- New member - will first need create family account profile then add partipants (skaters).
Refer to Registration tab How to register for more information and Step by step process
- Renewing member - If children already have a profiles at our club, members ( person responsible for invoice payment) will first need to update family profile to gain access to class registration. Go to the Log in page, enter your email and password. ( option is available to reset yourpassword if necessary)
- Refer to the Registration tab for step by step process.
- Don't forget to add uniform products to your shopping cart to complete your transaction. ( you will have the opportunity to select the appropriate size at pick up )
- Online :Credit cards (visa-mastercard) At the club : Credit cards, Interac or checks (payable to Cpa LaSlalle)
- Payable in two installments with post-dated checks issued at registration
- Important : Season registration guaranteed upon receipt of payment only